- This event has passed.
Made In York Region: The Future of Tech
November 7 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Made in York Region: The Future of Tech
Join ventureLAB on November 7, 2019, for the second annual Made In York Region: The Future of Tech event. Experience the innovative and technological prowess of York Region’s top tech companies as well as up-and comers. New this year, Made in York Region: The Future of Tech will feature a guided tour of two globally renowned tech companies in addition to showcasing over 30 start-up and scale-ups. This year’s event also features a pitch competition, an engaging panel, and keynote on the future of technology.
Made in York Region: the Future of Tech, is a showcase of ‘Made in York Region’ technologies, products, and solutions that are transforming experiences for Ontarians and Canadians. This event gives companies the opportunity to showcase their products to a large audience, including industry, investors, government, media, and more.
2018’s inaugural event featured 30 exhibitors, attracted 250 attendees, with five panels and 18 speakers. This year, Made in York Region: The Future of Tech is presented by ventureLAB in partnership with the Regional Municipality of York, highlighting the Region’s strengths, expertise, and success stories.
Date: Thursday, November 7, 2019
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Main Venue: ventureLAB, 3600 Steeles Avenue East, Markham, Ontario, L3R 9Z7
Ticket Sale: https://miyr.eventbrite.ca
Event Agenda (Subject to change)
8:00-12:30 pm: Guided Bus Tour of York Region
12:30-1:30 pm: Registration and Networking Lunch
12:30-3:30 pm: Exhibitor Showcase
1:30-1:45 pm: Opening remarks
2:00-2:30 pm: Pitch Competition
3:00-3:30 pm: Panel
3:30-4:00 pm: Keynote Speaker
4:00-4:15 pm: Pitch Competition Awards
4:15-4:30pm: Closing Remarks
What can we expect at Made in York Region: The Future of Tech?
Guided Bus Tour of York Region – Tickets available now!
Attendees interested in experiencing the innovative and technological prowess of York Region’s top tech companies can register for the Guided Tour of York Region, where they will visit a tech company in Markham, Richmond Hill, and Vaughan. Each company will take guests on a walk-through of their facility, provide insight into the day-to-day operations of their organization, and open the floor for a question and answer period with their team. Tickets are available here.
- ventureLAB (Markham): ventureLAB is a leading technology hub located in Markham in York Region, Canada’s second-largest tech cluster. Through its programs focused on capital, talent, technology, and customers, ventureLAB has supported over 2,000 tech companies and entrepreneurs, including 100 companies that have raised over $100 million and created 3,500 jobs. ventureLAB’s innovation hub is a 50,000 square foot facility that is home to over 45 tech companies and partners that employ over 300 people. At ventureLAB, we grow globally competitive tech titans that build-to-scale in Canada.
- Mircom (Vaughan): Mircom is a global designer, manufacturer, and distributor of intelligent building and life safety solutions. Mircom’s vision is to make buildings worldwide safer, smarter and more livable. We trace our beginnings back to the early 1960s, when our founder, Mr. Tony Falbo, started out manufacturing apartment intercoms and related systems in Toronto. His prior company quickly expanded to include fire detection and alarm systems and grew to become one of the largest fire safety manufacturers in Canada. This experience led Mr. Falbo to launch Mircom in 1991.
Today, Mircom stands as one of the fastest-growing companies in the building solutions sector and the largest independent fire, life safety, and intelligent building system manufacturers in North America. Our product portfolio spans Fire Detection & Alarm, Communications, Mass Notification, Security, Building Automation and more. Reaching customers in over 100 countries worldwide, our unwavering commitment to North American manufacturing enables Mircom to offer customers the highest quality products with superior value across our vast range of solutions.
- Stay tuned for the Richmond Hill Announcement
Guests will arrive at ventureLAB (3600 Steeles Avenue East, Markham, Ontario, L3R 9Z7) promptly at 8:00 am for registration and will board shuttles provided by the Regional Municipality of York to be taken to each venue.
Exhibitor Showcase – Apply Today!
At the 2018 inaugural event, we had over 30 ventureLAB clients showcasing their companies, products, or solutions to guests in an interactive and engaging setting. This year, we are expanding to include all of York Region! Are you a tech company based in or founded in York Region? Do you have a product or solution to display at Made in York Region: The Future of Tech? Apply today to become an exhibitor and spend your day networking with both up-and-comers and global names in the tech industry, all while showcasing your company as part of the thriving tech ecosystem in York Region
Exhibitor space is limited!
Pitch Competition – Apply Today!
New this year, we will be launching a Pitch Competition as part of Made in York Region: The Future of Tech! Apply today for your chance to win a prize of $10,000+, pitch to an audience of 400+, including industry, investors, academia, government, and media, and receive access to ventureLAB pitch workshops and advisor services leading up to the event.
- Be a registered for-profit business in the Province of Ontario
- Be an SME (with between 1-99 employees)
- Be a tech or tech-focused company
- Have a minimum viable product
- Be able to participate in a Pitch Preparation Workshop on October 30th, 2019 or November 1st, 2019
- Be located in York Region or willing to relocate to York Region
- Submit a Financial projection for 2 years (available here)
- Submit a Business Model Canvas (available here)
- Create and submit a video pitch with your application
Applicants must not be:
- A sole-proprietor
Applicants will not use the winnings for:
- Salaries or payment to founders, or staff of the applicant
- Services provided by ventureLAB
- Travel, hospitality, incidentals or food expenses, e.g. meals, gratuities, home management, personal telephone calls
- Capital Costs, e.g. land, building, vehicles
- Costs related to proposal development (including related staffing costs)
Do you think you have what it takes to become the
Made in York Region: The Future of Tech Pitch Competition Champion?
Founder Stories – Shifting Perspective: Building the Tech Titans of York Region
Open to guests attending Made in York Region: The Future of Tech, our founders will be shifting perspective and discussing their individual an organizational growth through the entrepreneurial process.
Technology is used to enhance the lives of those it touches, but not often do we consider where the idea behind a globally viable product comes from. This keynote panel highlights the story behind the company and provides an intimate opportunity with founders and CEOs to learn from their past experience.
Stay tuned for our Founder Stories reveal announcement!
Panel Discussion – Advancing Technology – What Comes First?
Open to guests attending Made in York Region: The Future of Tech, our panelists will be exploring ‘Advancing Technology – What Comes First?’
The future of tech is here. From AI to machine learning to autonomous vehicles, technology has vastly improved the way we live, work, and learn. So where do we go from here? This panel will explore foundational technologies: the underappreciated yet exceptionally important pieces of improving technology — the parts you cannot see, but need to power “simple” things like your smartphone, or more “advanced” things like driverless cars.
Stay tuned for our Panelist reveal announcement!
Made in York Region: The Future of Tech offers sponsorship opportunities that are tailor-made to fit your brand, marketing objectives and budget. Made in York Region: The Future of Tech puts you at the forefront of York Region’s tech ecosystem, and connects you with founders and industry leaders.
As a sponsor, you have the unique opportunity to support tech start-ups and entrepreneurs within your community by providing them with access to resources and networking connections. With a focus on the journey and development of start-ups and entrepreneurs, the ventureLAB team strives to guide companies through the processes of business development with a highly-skilled and experienced team of advisors, and programming tailored to the phases of start-ups.
Sponsoring Made in York Region: The Future of Tech connects you to a broad audience of industry leaders, tech founders, investors, public servants, and more. Comparable events in previous years have yielded over 2.8 million impressions, an organic reach of over 312,000, and over 430 tweets.
This year, Made in York Region: The Future of Tech will be bigger and better than ever before! But don’t just take our word for it – come and experience it for yourself!
Want to know more? Check out our video from last year below, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
We look forward to seeing you on November 7, 2019!