ventureLAB is hiring!
We’re looking for our next President and Chief Executive Officer!
Work with us and contribute to the success of over 450 entrepreneurs a year.
We are a team that believes in creative brainstorming, innovative ideas, and collaborative all hands in, roll up your sleeves kind of work.
We’re looking for our next President and CEO to join our awesome team.
Interested candidates should review the position profile below and send their resume and cover letter to
Robert Hall – Vice President, Finance and Administration, [email protected]
PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (CEO)
Position Title: President and Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Chair of the Board (on behalf of Board of Directors)
Location: Markham, ON
Revised: April 2018
ventureLAB is York Region’s Regional Innovation Centre and a member of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE). The organization is creating Canada’s Innovation Cluster, centered in Markham at the heart of York Region, home to more than 60,000 technology workers and 4,300 technology companies. More than 400 global powerhouses have set up Canadian head offices in Markham, including AMD, Qualcomm, IBM, CGI, Huawei, Honda and GM creating a hotbed of scarce technical talent and experienced leaders that has fueled a vibrant and growing innovation community. With this, hundreds of promising start-ups and scale-ups in the health tech/life sciences, advanced manufacturing, and deep technology sectors are coming to Markham and York Region in growing numbers.
ventureLAB exists to support innovative entrepreneurs building scalable tech businesses. With tailored programming focused on Capital│Talent│Technology, ventureLAB is advancing York Region’s innovation economy on a local, national and global scale. Acting as Creative Directors for the IBM Innovation Space – Markham Convergence Centre inside the IBM Canada Headquarters, ventureLAB manages 30,000 square feet, housing 35+ tech companies and 240+ tenants.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The President and CEO is the leader of the organization, establishing a vision for Community Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers alike. The President and CEO is the Chief Mobilizer; s/he leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community for entrepreneurs to scale and grow Canada’s next generation of technology enterprises.
The President and CEO possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization. The President and CEO is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good – creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact. The President and CEO is the steward of the ventureLAB brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation of the organization and its key stakeholders. S/he is responsible for building trust in ventureLAB and its relevance in the community. S/he values strong, positive networks and strives to leverage ventureLAB’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
The President and CEO plays a very important externally focused role. S/he must be comfortable working with elected officials and senior government bureaucracy (Federal, Provincial, Regional & Municipal), as well as with business leaders / stakeholders in not-for-profit and for-profit organizations.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Community Impact: The President and CEO is responsible for the overall impact of ventureLAB on the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive the impact agenda. The President and CEO is expected to be an active member and chief advocate of an engaged community built to serve entrepreneurs and businesses. The President and CEO works closely with the Board to craft and adapt the strategy to achieve this increased impact, including raising the funds to support it. S/he will establish and build relationships with top leaders in the community, including those representing the highest levels in business, government and non-profit sectors.
Resource Development: The President and CEO is charged to drive key results in top line growth of the organization; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective stakeholders and key leaders of prospective corporate partners to leverage professional contacts and relationships for revenue opportunities; and to promote a culture of growth and development in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
Strategic Management: The President and CEO serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction on driving the key performance indicators of the strategic plan. S/he partners with the Board of Directors and the Senior Leadership team to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that they are achieved. S/he ensures coordination and alignment of all ventureLAB activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
Organization Management: The President and CEO is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. S/he maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The President and CEO assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing; directly supervises Senior Leadership positions and establishes individual goals; works with the Chief Operating Officer and the Vice President, Finance and Administration to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks; and ensures that goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- Extensive senior strategic leadership experience in the management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector (ONE Network experience desirable), and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience of 7-10 years in a Senior Strategic Leadership role required, 5 years in role may substitute for an advanced degree.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate/private.
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing sponsorship and strategic member support.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
S/he has unquestioned integrity; a long term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives; excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
Education Background: Undergraduate degree, preference given to a Masters (MBA or Executive Program). The leader must demonstrate a strong background with relevant experience building a Canadian scale-up company. Experience of 7-10 years in a Senior Strategic Leadership role required, such experience may substitute for an advanced degree.
ventureLAB has a strong values based work environment centered around three core values of being Responsive, Genuine and Attuned. All team members have a ‘can-do’ attitude in the work they do individually and as a group. The team works together to deliver high caliber events, peer-to-peer network sessions and partner event programs. The values of the organization are central to its reputation and success to date. The leader must wholly embody these values.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to support innovative entrepreneurs building scalable tech businesses. This drives performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Proven Track Record: In organizational transformation, operational business results, technology commercialization and new product development, business operations, corporate development and strategic planning.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously provides purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among leaders and stakeholders.
- Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, provincial and federal governments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
- Passion: Is a recognized and well-respected advocate for innovation and technology commercialization both regionally and nationally.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
- Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage York Region’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
- Strong track record of delivering results and focused execution through a broad range of approaches, including coaching and
No recruiters or agencies.
Get the ventureLAB newsletter!
Follow Us On TwitterMy Tweets
April 26 @ 9:30 am - 11:00 am
April 26 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
April 27 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
May 10 @ 11:30 am - 1:30 pm
May 11 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am