We’re looking for passionate, driven individuals to join our growing team! The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, flexible environment, and work closely with a team of like-minded individuals, where each individual contributor is expected to drive projects forward while also working collaboratively to achieve shared goals. You’ll work closely with our small but mighty team, as well as with a wide range of professionals, including tech entrepreneurs, industry executives, and public and private sector partners.
ventureLAB is a leading technology hub located in Markham in York Region, Canada’s second largest tech cluster. Working out of our 50,000 square foot innovation space, you’ll be exposed to a wide range of globally disruptive ideas, products, and people. At ventureLAB, we grow globally competitive tech titans that build to scale in Canada.
Reporting to the Vice President, Partnerships, this role is responsible for the development and end-to-end delivery of a robust private sector, industry pipeline and revenue stream. The successful candidate will possess a “hunter” mentality, and have the capability to switch seamlessly between strategic thinking, planning and tactical work. They will also be a strong communicator with the ability to clearly articulate the ventureLAB value proposition to prospective partners, and strategically align partnership opportunities.
This role will work closely with the Vice President, Partnerships in setting the strategy and direction for the Partnerships team, while taking the lead in implementing strategies and plans that drive revenue growth with potential hardware, software, digital health and advanced manufacturing partners.
The Director, Business Development — Private Sector will be expected to manage independently, with the ability to deliver agreed targets in a timely manner. The individual should be able to demonstrate a high degree of drive, focus and purpose, and be able to convert strategic goals into multi-year, revenue generating opportunities and programs.
The successful candidate requires a demonstrated ability to collaboratively build relationships, both internally and externally, manage complex projects and competing priorities, as well as track, report and optimize the performance of partnerships and partner programs. The role will work collaboratively and cross-functionally with internal teams to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of contracted partner engagements and programs.
- Identify, build and manage a pipeline of qualified revenue opportunities with potential industry partners, taking responsibility from sourcing through to closure and implementation, driving value for both ventureLAB and our partners
- Develop and plan strategic multi-partner programs and opportunities to
ensure a strong pipeline of revenue-generating opportunities with industry partners
- Foster and maintain relationships with relevant decision-makers at all levels, maintaining a strong “partner first” service orientation
- Deliver value-added business development connections for clients via the creation of partnerships of purpose that are strategically aligned with our client portfolio.
- Establish and implement best practices for building, fostering and expanding focused strategic partnerships with industry partners seeking collaborative and measurable, strategically aligned opportunities.
- Demonstrate strong business acumen, coupled with outstanding communication skills to effectively build credible relationships with executive leaders in the partner ecosystem
- Deliver agreed KPI’s, as established in collaboration with the VP Partnerships
- Work with Partnerships and Programs Teams to establish a repeatable process for onboarding partners, management of partner deliverables, ensuring an excellent partner experience throughout the customer journey
- Monitor and analyze performance against goals and ensure, by working collaboratively with internal teams, that the contractual obligations of our industry partners are delivered on time and on budget
- Leverage available ventureLAB communications material, tools and program offerings to reinforce key messaging and build the brand with industry partners.
- On a day to day basis, track, resolve, and/or escalate key partnership issues, and manage internal and external expectations appropriately, ensuring the VP Partnerships is informed of all critical issues on a timely basis.
- With the support of the Program Coordinator, Partnerships, ensure that all partner data is accurately maintained on a timely basis in the ventureLAB CRM (Salesforce), and that relevant reports and partner dashboards are created to provide valuable management and industry partner insights, and measure impact.
- Behave as a role model and advocate for the ventureLAB culture and values.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma, or a minimum of 7 – 10 years equivalent experience working in Sales, Business Development or Partnerships
- Relevant experience in building results-driven private sector technology partnerships with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding sales or revenue targets.
- Demonstrated experience closing partnership opportunities, negotiating contracts and agreements
- Strong leadership skills at all levels, coupled with excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills – able to evaluate opportunities from a strategic, financial and operational perspective
- Results-oriented problem solver who can bring complex projects to fruition in a timely manner
- Active listening skills that enable an individual to gain a true understanding of partner challenges and needs
- Strong written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and executive presence, with the ability to effectively present in a group setting
- Demonstrated high level of internal and external customer service
- Ability to work in an environment that is metrics-driven, and characterized by constant change and tight deadlines
- Strong team player, who can also work independently, with an excellent track record of success in matrixed, fast-paced environments
- Entrepreneurial team player who is proactive and can multi-task
- Passion for the ventureLAB Mission, Vision, and Cultural Values
Compensation includes a base salary and an incentive tied to revenue goals.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, September 20, noting “Director of Industry Partnerships – Job ID 201903” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.