Reporting to the Controller, the Manager, Finance – Special Project role provides the operational support required to ensure the efficient and effective management of the Finance Department, as well as adhere to external reporting deadlines.
The Manager will have proven financial management skills, and an ability to quickly identify roadblocks and risks to ensure the timely progression of reporting requirements. The role requires a strong service mentality, as well as strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to lead via influence. The Manager, Finance – Special Projects will work collaboratively and cross-functionally with internal teams to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of internal and external reporting for key stakeholders and multiple funding agreements.
ventureLAB seeks confident, resourceful and self-initiating team members with the ability to thrive in a fast paced, multi-pronged work environment where each individual contributor is expected to drive projects forward while also working collaboratively to achieve shared goals. The individual should be able to demonstrate a high degree of drive, focus and purpose, and be able to provide the support required to ensure timely and accurate reporting on an internal and external basis.
Project Financial Management
- Oversee the financial administration of special projects
- Monitor project spending on a monthly basis to ensure budgets and targets are being met
- Adhere to project reporting guidelines (based on a monthly or quarterly reporting schedule)
- Other duties as required
- Apply and implement a robust financial reporting and general ledger structure that aligns with project reporting requirements and standards
- Help to ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close
- Help to ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information
- Support budget and forecasting activities
- Ensure compliance with all statutory requirements, policies, procedures, and governance. Mitigate financial risk by ensuring the accuracy and integrity of all accounting and financial reporting under GAAP
- Audit coordination and financial statement preparation
- Conduct business process and policy reviews to assess efficiency and effectiveness
- Redesign and implement processes, procedures and internal controls where improvements can be made
- Interpret, calculate and prepare tax and treasury returns. Ensure compliance with sales and income tax requirements
- Work closely with the Controller in preparing quarterly financial statements, management discussion and analysis and other regulatory filings
- Assist in the preparation of ventureLAB’s funding requests to the funding partners
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Support the Controller with special projects and workflow process improvements
- Participate in program-related contract administration (i.e. research projects, special projects) by overseeing the preparation of invoices and the maintenance of financial files
- Assist in cash flow management, bank reconciliations, forecasting and budget preparation
- Other duties as required
- Preferred post-secondary education in finance/accounting or a related field i.e. Commerce, Business or Economics with a Professional Accounting designation (CPA, CMA or CGA)
- 5-7 years of related business experience is required, preferably in a not-for-profit organization
- Comprehensive knowledge of GAAP, administrative control processes, cost analysis, reporting requirement and accounting/audit principles
- Experience administering and financial reporting of multi-year, multi-million federal or provincial government grants
- Adaptable to ever changing needs of company and position
- Strong knowledge of computerized financial and operating systems is essential
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills along with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Possesses strong leadership, supervisory and management abilities
- Stays current on changes in regulation and other industry news
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work with monthly deadlines and time constraints on an ongoing basis
- Must be a hands-on self- starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks and shifting priorities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Other duties as assigned
Salary: $50,000-$60,000, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Wednesday, May 22 noting “Manager, Finance – Special Projects” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.