Program Name: Ontario Brain Institute: 2018 OBI ONtrepreneurs Program
Deadline To Apply: May 14, 2018
- The program awards up to 10 Ontario-based early-stage entrepreneurs
- Preference given towards an applicant who recently graduated (Less than 5 years from the last post-graduate fellowship)
- The program will award $50,000 (per individual) in addition to training opportunities and mentorship to help early-stage entrepreneurs to build and grow neurotech companies
- The $50,000 cash award can be used for stipend and/or other project-related costs. Total budget is subject to approval by OBI and should reflect the project plans.
- The fund will be released to each entrepreneur via an Ontario-based academic/research institute affiliated with the entrepreneur and/or the company
- The successful applicants will develop milestones for the commercialization of the neurotechnology and sign a milestone-based agreement with OBI and the affiliated academic/research institute.
- The funding to the OBI ONtrepreneur during the one-year program will be released in 3 tranches and the release of the fund is contingent on achieving milestones outlined in the milestone-based agreement between the entrepreneur, the affiliated academic/research institute, and OBI
- Each OBI Entrepreneur will be assigned an industry-based mentor(s) and liaise with OBI through a dedicated point of contact
- It is mandatory for all entrepreneurs to attend training and support programs hosted by OBI while enrolled in the program.
- Entrepreneurs will also be invited to selective programs and events run by OBI’s partners
- The ONtrepreneurs Program is aimed at supporting early-stage entrepreneurs based in Ontario
- The applicant must be able to commit to being a full-time entrepreneur during the course of the program
- The applicant must have an incorporated company or have a plan to incorporate a neurotech company based in Ontario
- The company is focused on developing/commercializing a technology based on scientific research and has a fundamental impact on how people understand, diagnose, improve or treat brain and brain-related disorders (neurological, neuropsychiatric, and/or sensory diseases). Note: Programs or services are NOT eligible.
- Funding must be used to commercialize a neurotechnology (e.g. devices, therapeutics, software/ICT). The use of the fund will be reviewed and approved by OBI.
- Monday, May 14, 2018 – Application deadline (11:59 PM EST)
- Friday, Jun 01, 2018 – Notifications sent for Pitch Session
- Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 – Pitch Session (Toronto)
- Monday, Jul 09, 2018 – Letter of Acceptance for the 2018 ONtrepreneurs Program will be sent out
- Friday, Jul 13, 2018 – Confirmation of Acceptance Due
- Summer 2018 (Date TBD) – Welcome/Orientation Day (Toronto)
Dates are subject to change.